Hawaii County Emergency Rental Assistance Program
The Hawaii County Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) is funded through a federal grant from the County of Hawaii. The program is led by Hawaii Community Lending and administered by nonprofit partners: HOPE Services Hawaii, Hawaii First Federal Credit Union, Neighborhood Place of Puna, Habitat for Humanity Hawaii Island, The Salvation Army, and Hawaii County Economic Opportunity Council. ERAP provides rent or utility payments from March 2020 through December 2021 to applicants who have been impacted directly by COVID-19 not to exceed 12 months of total assistance. Your household is only eligible to receive ERAP assistance from 1 nonprofit provider.
Apply online below or by calling 808-935-3050, Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm.
Apply for Assistance Online or via Phone
Rent and utility payments are only eligible for primary residences in the County of Hawaii. Applicants must earn at or below 80% area median income and verify proof of hardship due to COVID-19 for each month they receive assistance. Priority will be given to households with annual incomes less than 50% area median income with one or more members that have been unemployed for at least 90 days. Payments for approved applicants will be made directly to the landlord, property manager or utility company. Approved applicants will also have access to financial counseling and housing stability services. Please complete this application and submit with required documents listed below to be considered for an ERAP grant.
*Add $5,500 for each household member above 8 persons
How to apply
Please read all instructions, then click the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of this page.
You will need a Google account to access the online application at the bottom of this page. If you do not have a Google account, you may create one for free here. Make sure to save your password and check it often.
Before starting your application, make sure you have all your documents in PDF or image (.jpg, .png) format.
On the phone
Call the HOPE Services office at 808-935-3050, Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm. If you are not able to get through, leave a message, or send an email to ERAP@hopeserviceshawaii.org to request a callback.
Before calling to apply, please have all your documents ready.
Please complete the application and submit with required documents to be considered for a grant:
Proof of Resident and Age for Applicant
- Copy of photo ID
Income Documents for ALL household members (provide all that apply)
- All pages and schedules for 2020 Federal Tax Form
- 30 days most recent pay stubs
- 1 month most recent business bank statements (if self-employed)
- Unemployment or Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA) benefit letter
- Public benefit statement
- Other income documentation (i.e. child support or alimony letter, pension/retirement earning statement, etc)
Housing (provide 1 of the following)
- Copy of complete, current, and signed rental lease/contract
- Bank statements or cancelled checks verifying payment of monthly rent (if no signed lease)
- Bank statements or cancelled checks verifying payment of utilities for the residential unit (if no signed lease)
Proof of Hardship (provide 1 of the following)
- Unemployment or PUA approval letter
- Written attestation (request from nonprofit)
If requesting assistance for previous months
- Past due rent notice with amount owed
- Eviction notice with amount owed
- Past due utility notice
Mahalo for ensuring you meet the residency and household income requirements before applying!
“I'm so grateful you are there for the people of Hawaiʻi.”
Susan, formerly homeless Hawaiʻi Island resident